What's this about?

What's this about?

This blog is not about the animal. This blog is writing by a Latino. A writer. An English teacher. A man who once lived in Chicago's 26th Street neighborhood.

My blog's title comes from a converstion I had with my friend Tony Laurel. When we met at an English teachers' meeting about a year ago, he said I was the only other Latino English teacher he knew: "We're white rhinos." According to National Geographic, there are about 11,000 white rhinos struggling to survive in the wild.

Unlike the animal, Latino English teachers are not an endangered species--there have never been many of us in the Chicago Public Schools. And we know the low number of Latinos with college degrees in our city.

I have a perspective that, like the white rhino, must fight to exist.

This is a challenge to myself: I must write. The writing here will include my responses, reflections, reactions to Latino- and education-related issues. Occasionally, I will promote others' writing, too. I will reveal my perspective without compromising the privacy of others. My goal is to post a couple times each month.

I invite you to read. Comment on my posts. Follow this blog by e-mail. And write.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Listen to me on National Public Radio

With the help of producer Teshima Walker, I'm back on National Public Radio.  A version of my first blog post aired today (June 17) on Tell Me More as part of their Father's Day essays series.

Check it out at the link below.  If you're reading this after June 17, select that date on the drop-down menu.

http://www.npr.org/programs/tell-me-more/

1 comment:

  1. Ray,

    Heard you on NPR today, it was excellent. I plan on following your blog and hopefully sharing and learning with you.

    Excellent stuff today,

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete